You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to LaraCroftForum.com. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

tombraidergirl

Lara Croft

• "tombraidergirl" is female
  • "tombraidergirl" started this thread

TR Platforms: PC, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, Android Tablet

Currently Playing: Temple of Osiris

Saturday, June 11th 2005, 9:28pm

Post Count in the Spam Area

Ok, some people (who don't belong to the ones spamming) complaines about people suddenly having hundreds of posts from spamming... I see the problem they are having with it, so I wanna see what you all think.

This poll will not influence our (the Moderators) decision if we will turn off the post count in the spam forums in the future, I just want to get your opinions on the matter.

• "152er" is female

TR Platforms: PC

Sunday, June 12th 2005, 2:45pm

I'm against counting the posts in the spam area, because it's unfair to the members who try to make useful postings.

And I think it's a bit too much spam. I mean....hundrets of sensless postings per day....this is really a bit too much.

----------------
Wer immer tut, was er schon kann, bleibt immer das, was er schon ist. :gandalf

Nick

Silver Raider

• "Nick" is male

TR Platforms: PC, Mac, PS2

Tuesday, June 14th 2005, 7:01pm

I'm against spaming, but not against post count. It would be better to delete oder close spam-threads.

~*~Chickpea~*~

Average Raider

• "~*~Chickpea~*~" is female

Sunday, June 19th 2005, 6:31pm

i can see that it is unfair but the thing is to them they are not spamming cause they are convoin if u get what i mean. i suppose spam is wrong..........

The legend returns.........

ButterYum

Archaeologist

• "ButterYum" is female

TR Platforms: PS2,PS3

Currently Playing: Skyrim

Monday, June 20th 2005, 10:30pm

well... I think it should. I don't see why it couldn't. I am sure you all disagree because i'm of those spamming people... but that is my view point.

Werner v. Croy

Archaeologist

• "Werner v. Croy" is male

TR Platforms: PC Mac PlayStation

Currently Playing: LoD, Starcraft

Tuesday, June 21st 2005, 1:45pm

I think "No" is fairer to other user
:rope:

snake

Jade Raider

• "snake" is male

TR Platforms: PS2

Currently Playing: Deadly Premonition

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 9:30pm

i dont see why u shouldnt be able to spam there coz thats wat it is there for right?

ButterYum

Archaeologist

• "ButterYum" is female

Friday, June 24th 2005, 4:48am

well.... It's part of the forum? isn't it? Pluz I think you'll lose members if you don't count .

Nick

Silver Raider

• "Nick" is male

TR Platforms: PC, Mac, PS2

Friday, June 24th 2005, 6:55am

I don't think so. OK maybe you but not every member is in the forum to have the most postings.

ButterYum

Archaeologist

• "ButterYum" is female

Saturday, June 25th 2005, 2:10am

I wasn't saying I would. I saying other people might.

tombraidergirl

Lara Croft

• "tombraidergirl" is female
  • "tombraidergirl" started this thread

TR Platforms: PC, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, Android Tablet

Currently Playing: Temple of Osiris

Sunday, June 26th 2005, 4:16pm

Well, to be frank, if they are here to have a high post count (and not because they like the people and/or atmosphere here) I don't really care if they leave. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against any of you guys, but if someone leaves because postings aren't counted that is silly.

ButterYum

Archaeologist

• "ButterYum" is female

Monday, June 27th 2005, 4:33pm

I agree with that... But people are that way.

Will4389

Jade Raider

• "Will4389" is male

TR Platforms: Wii, Xbox 360

Saturday, July 2nd 2005, 5:57pm

I think people are taking this a bit too serious, posts don't make you a better person and have any more importance than any one else on the forum. Understandably spam is a bit irrelevant but everyone likes to spam sometimes...I think we should just leave it how it is. But I'm not against it if the post count doesn't go up when people spam because I don't consider myself to post that frequently were as others constantly post 1 word posts...

Spina

Starting Raider

• "Spina" is female

Sunday, July 3rd 2005, 3:59pm

they shouldn't be counted
Let me dive alone...

Will4389

Jade Raider

• "Will4389" is male

Monday, July 4th 2005, 10:56am

I think all these complaints have scared people from posting...I want the forum as it was with people writing one word posts, atleast we could post back, no one seems to want to post as much any more...

Diamond

Adventurer

• "Diamond" is female

TR Platforms: PC PlayStation PS2 PSP

Friday, September 23rd 2005, 4:48pm

lol, no one ever really posts anymore, plus like on other forums if u take the post count off 4 spammin big members stop comin, its happened 2 me, i had once 300 members an i took all the games an spam post counts off an then all of them didn't want 2 come back again, an the games board-a-holics place became empty, just some advice, all forums like hilaryfans.net an other places left the post count on for that thing, makes all the members happy :)

Will4389

Jade Raider

• "Will4389" is male

Sunday, October 2nd 2005, 6:46pm

I actually want to take back my comment on wishing spam a holics came back due to the fact that when diamond came back people got into the habit of over posting making it harder to follow were the topic conversation was going, being me i don't like to read back that many posts to follow where the conversation is going...
Although it's nice to see new faces and see their opinions on matters...

Fanx

Explorer

• "Fanx" is female

TR Platforms: PC

Currently Playing: Volleyball

Saturday, April 8th 2006, 10:25pm

I'm all for letting people have a "spam" zone or off-topic area where they can be as ridiculous as they want but I don't think the posts should be counted. If people enjoy the spam area for its own sake then they won't care too much, but if all they are doing is posting only to push up their count then they probably have issues that would be better dealt with in the care of mental health professionals.

Thing is, off-topic areas arecreated to keep the irrelevant posts away from the main, official discussions - if you allow post-count inflating then that drowns out those people that just want to chat and play games.

I don't really like posting in off-topic area when it adds to my count - somehow it feels like cheating to me.

Pro Grape

Spam King

• "Pro Grape" is male

TR Platforms: PC, Mac

Sunday, April 9th 2006, 4:11am

I think the decision should be made so that the number and variety of useful posts in the Tomb Raider sections is maximized. In this way, the richest discussion about Tomb raider is obtained.

Quote by Fanx:

Quoted

Thing is, off-topic areas arecreated to keep the irrelevant posts away from the main, official discussions

Unfortunately, I do not believe that it is quite as cut-and-dry as that. I think that the off-topic areas also provide variety, so that people can talk about other things, giving the place a more real-world feel. Lots of people probably come to web forums as places to divert themselves/zone out/kill time/wind down from a day's work as well as for an informative discussion. The forums would be less conducive to that type of use without off-topic rooms. After all, if members came here purely for information on or to discuss Tomb Raider, there wouldn't be as many chronic users. And if those chronic users weren't logging in to carry on a conversation in an off-topic area, many of them would be less likely to log in to contribute to the Tomb Raider sections.

Quote by tombraidergirl:

Quoted

but if someone leaves because postings aren't counted that is silly.

Yes, that would be silly, but someone might not say to themselves "My spam posts are not counted, so I will never return," though they would probably be less inclined to visit, without really thinking about it. Then we would lose their useful, Tomb Raider-related posts.

On the other hand, there might be so many people disgruntled by having their hard-earned post-counts devalued by spammers, who become less likely to post in the forums as a result, that the spam post-count should be stopped.

They only way to tell would be to run tests and to collect and analyze statistics. This has the disadvantage of running the risk that you would lower the quality of the discussions during the test period. Also, many trials would have to be conducted in order to measure the trends. An easier way but a less thorough and precise way would be to ask other forum operators about their experience.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Pro Grape" (Feb 5th 2007, 9:50pm)

Pro Grape

Spam King

• "Pro Grape" is male

TR Platforms: PC, Mac

Sunday, April 9th 2006, 4:17am

PS Trying to determine what to choose democratically (by a poll or some kind of vote or just an informal collection of opinions) would be ineffective because of the ever-changing membership and because of the problem of assigning different weights to the votes of users who are more or less useful (make better, more relevant posts) or who have been here for shorter/longer periods of time.